Pages

Friday 4 May 2012

The Write Advice 013: FRANÇOIS MAURIAC


I have never begun a novel without hoping that it would be the one that would make it unnecessary for me to write another.  I have had to start again from scratch with each one.  What had gone before didn't count... I was not adding to a fresco.  Like a man who has decided to start his life over again, I have told myself that I had so far accomplished nothing: for I have always believed that my chef d'oeuvre [masterpiece] would be the novel I was working on at the time.

The Art of Fiction #2  [The Paris Review #2, March 1953]




Use the link below to read an excerpt of the March 1953 interview with French novelist and essayist FRANÇOIS MAURIAC:

 

https://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/5197/the-art-of-fiction-no-2-francois-mauriac

 

 

You might also enjoy:

 
The Write Advice 003: LOUIS-FERDINAND CÉLINE

 
Tante Zulnie (1911) by FRANÇOIS MAURIAC

 
The Write Advice 044: GEORGES SIMENON

 

No comments:

Post a Comment