Pages

Thursday, 10 January 2013

WRITERS ON WRITING #28: Ian McEwan


Well, the joy [of writing] is infrequent.  Sometimes one just hits those easy stretches, moments of extended felicity when every sentence tells you how to write the next oneIn the course of a single novel, maybe it happens, if I’m lucky, a dozen times in two yearsAnd then the rest of the time –– for me, it would be ridiculous to call it joyBut it would be wrong and self-dramatizing to call it agonyMore like a brute determination to push on, but often against the grain, something that makes me not want to not doI was reading a book about consciousness the other day, and the very first sentence said something like ‘My mind appears to have a mind of its own.Which I rather likedBecause every time I try to get on with my work, my mind wanders –– I’m always standing up and fleeing from it, as though it’s almost too muchOr do I mean too little?  I don’t even think I know.

Interview in Vanity Fair (April 2005)

 


IAN McEWAN's latest novel is Sweet Tooth, published by Jonathan Cape (UK) and Doubleday (US) in 2012. Click HERE to visit his official website.


You might also enjoy:
WRITERS ON WRITING #45: Amy Hempel
WRITERS ON WRITING #39: Deborah Eisenberg
WRITERS ON WRITING #38: Nick Hornby 

No comments:

Post a Comment