Pages

Thursday 29 January 2015

The Write Advice 060: FORD MADOX FORD


When the party broke up, I stood for a long time with the Prince under the portico of the restaurant whilst the rain poured down.  He asked me what I was doing and I told him that I was just publishing a fairy-tale.  He said that that was an admirable sort of thing to do.  Then he said that he hoped the fairy-tale was not about Princes and Princesses –– or at least that I would write one that would be about ordinary people.  I have been trying to do so ever since.  Indeed I tried to do so at once with the singular result that although my first invention had a great –– indeed a prodigious –– sale I could not even find a publisher for the second.  My subsequent difficulties have been technical.  I always want to write about ordinary people.  But it seems to be almost impossible to decide who are ordinary people –– and then to meet them.  All men's lives and characteristics are so singular.

Return to Yesterday (1931)



Use the link below to visit THE FORD MADOX FORD SOCIETY, an international organization founded in 1997 'to promote knowledge of and interest in the life and works of Ford Madox Ford':


http://www.fordmadoxfordsociety.org/

 

 

You might also enjoy:
 

The Write Advice 050: FORD MADOX FORD

 
The Write Advice 020: FORD MADOX FORD

 
Poet of the Month 004: FORD MADOX FORD

No comments:

Post a Comment