Pages

Thursday 12 February 2015

The Write Advice 061: CHARMIAN CLIFT


This [job of writing a weekly newspaper column] involves even stronger disciplines than I've ever faced before.  In a way I enjoy it, I find it terribly demandingI know that I am writing faster and better than I ever did because of this.  I think a great deal of writing is to do with the more one writes, the faster and better one can write.  This doesn't mean I believe in sloppy writing.  I go over every draft, over and over, I sometimes make five drafts, six drafts, of everything I do before I'm satisfied.

Taped interview for the National Library of Australia [8 June 1965]

 

Use the links below to read an essay about the life and work of Australian novelist,  journalist and travel writer CHARMIAN CLIFT:

 

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/clift-charmian-9764
 

 
 
You might also enjoy:
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment