Pages

Thursday 4 August 2016

The Write Advice 084: EDITH WHARTON


None of my relations ever spoke to me of my books, either to praise or to blame –– they simply ignored them; and among the immense tribe of my New York cousins, though it included many with whom I was on terms of affectionate intimacy, the subject was avoided as though it were a kind of family disgrace, which might be condoned but could not be forgotten.  Only one eccentric widowed cousin, living a life of lonely invalidism, turned to my novels for occasional distraction, and had the courage to tell me so.
      At first I felt this indifference acutely; but now I no longer cared, for my recognition as a writer had transformed my life.  I had made my own friends, and my books were beginning to serve as an introduction to my fellow writers.  But it was amusing to think that, whereas in London even my modest achievements would have opened many doors, in my native New York they were felt only as a drawback and an embarrassment.

A Backward Glance (1934)


 

Use the link below to visit the website of THE EDITH WHARTON SOCIETY:


https://edithwhartonsociety.wordpress.com/

 

Special thanks to Rhonda Thwaite for 
sending me this quote.


 

 

You might also enjoy:

 
Ethan Frome (1911) by EDITH WHARTON

 
The Write Advice 067: BARBARA PYM

 
The Write Advice 034: DAWN POWELL

No comments:

Post a Comment