Pages

Thursday 20 January 2022

The Write Advice 161: JENNIFER EGAN

 
…I rarely write about an event that I've experienced.  For example, when I was working on my novel The Keep, which involves a prison writing class, I considered actually trying to teach in a prison.  And I thought, No, because that'll actually make it harder for me to write about it.  But the places are important.  If there's some kind of memory element to the place, that always helps.  Not nostalgia per se, but the intensification that can come along with memory, the way it sifts through impressions and leaves you with what is most arresting.
 
The Writer's Library: The Authors You Love on the Books That Changed Their Lives (2020)
 
 
Use the link below to visit the website of North American novelist and journalist JENNIFER EGAN:
 
 

 
 
 
You might also enjoy:
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment