Pages

Friday 16 December 2011

The Write Advice 004: KURT VONNEGUT


I have often wondered what I thought I was doing teaching creative writing, since the demand for creative writers is very small in this vale of tears.  I was perplexed as to what the usefulness of any of the arts might be, with the possible exception of interior decoration.  The most positive notion I could come up with was what I call the canary-in-a-coalmine theory of the arts.  This theory argues that artists are useful to society because they are so sensitive.  They are supersensitive.  They keel over like canaries in coalmines filled with poison gas, long before more robust types realize that any danger is there.

Wampeters, Foma and Granfalloons (1974) 


 

Use the link below to visit the website of North American writer and artist KURT VONNEGUT (1922–2007):

 

https://www.vonnegutlibrary.org/kurt-biography/

 
 
You might also enjoy: 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment