Pages

Thursday 6 August 2020

The Write Advice 134: JAMIE RAINTREE


When I write, there’s always this very specific situation I want to put the character in.  I think the reason for that is that I want to figure out why!  You come across people in your life and you notice something that happens to them or something that’s going on, and it triggers something within you that asks, 'How would that happen?'  Or 'Why are they in this situation?  Why are they choosing to handle it in this specific way?'  For me, that's what writing a story is all about — discovering that.  For me, the joy of writing is figuring out why.  I get to figure it out as I write it.

Icebreaker: Jamie Raintree [October 2017]


 

Use the link below to read the full 2017 interview with North American novelist JAMIE RAINTREE:

 

https://bookpage.com/interviews/21896-icebreaker-jamie-raintree

 

 

You might also enjoy:

 
The Write Advice 114: ZADIE SMITH

 
The Write Advice 084: EDITH WHARTON

 
The Write Advice 005: EDNA O'BRIEN

No comments:

Post a Comment