Pages

Thursday 6 October 2022

The Write Advice 174: TIM WINTON

 

I still have that multiple desks thing that I had when I was a young turk.  I don't teach, I've never had another job, I just can't afford to get stuck.  So I had three projects, three desks.  The swivelling chair with wheels was one of the great inventions.  If I feel like I'm coming to a cul-de-sac with what I'm working on, I just roll down to the next desk and pick up... That's how I solve problems, by avoiding them.  And then you come back, and in your absence they've quite sensibly sorted themselves out, and you pick up where you left off.  I've never found that the direct full-frontal approach to some knotty problem in a book works very well.  You're just cornering a dog and it gets angrier and angrier.
 
Interview [The Observer, 1 June 2014]
 
 
 
Use the link below to read about the life and work of Australian novelist, playwright and children's author TIM WINTON:
 
 
 
 
 
 
You might also enjoy:
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment