Pages

Friday 8 April 2016

The Write Advice 079: ANTON CHEKHOV


Behind me there are mountains of mistakes, tons of paper covered with writing, an Academy prize and a life of sudden success…yet in spite of all this, I don’t believe there is a single line I’ve written that has real literary value.  I long to hide somewhere for five years or so and do a piece of painstaking, serious work.  I must study, learn everything from the beginning, for as a writer I am completely ignorant. 

From a letter written to a friend written in 1889


 

Use the link below to read more about the life and work of acclaimed Russian playwright, short story writer and novelist ANTON CHEKHOV (1860–1904).  According to his translator ELISAVETA FEN '…1889 was the happiest year of his career as a writer.'

 

https://www.online-literature.com/anton_chekhov/

 

 

You might also enjoy:

 
The Write Advice 009: NORA EPHRON

 
The Write Advice 039: DEBORAH EISENBERG

 
The Write Advice 049: JB PRIESTLEY

 

No comments:

Post a Comment