Pages

Friday, 8 April 2016

WRITERS ON WRITING #79: Anton Chekhov


Behind me there are mountains of mistakes, tons of paper covered with writing, an Academy prize and a life of sudden success…yet in spite of all this, I don’t believe there is a single line I’ve written that has real literary value.  I long to hide somewhere for five years or so and do a piece of painstaking, serious work.  I must study, learn everything from the beginning, for as a writer I am completely ignorant. 

From a letter written to a friend in 1889



Click HERE to read more about the life and work of acclaimed Russian playwright, short story writer and novelist ANTON CHEKHOV (1860-1904).  According to CHEKHOV's translator ELISAVETA FEN '1889 was the happiest year of his career as a writer.'

You might also enjoy:
IVAN BUNIN Collected Stories 1900-1944 (2007)
IVAN TURGENEV Fathers and Sons (1861)
IVAN GONCHAROV Oblomov (1859)

No comments:

Post a Comment