Pages

Thursday 22 October 2020

The Write Advice 138: STAN BARSTOW


I was learning, and the first thing I learned was that even with a reasonably fluent flow of words such as I could command, writing insincerely rarely works. Those who write meretriciously have to believe in it while they're doing it.  I sold nothing in that first phase.  The envelopes came back.  But I will not say that I wasted valuable time in trying to write what I thought editors would want, nor in beginning and abandoning two correspondence courses intent on teaching me to please others before I tried to please myself.  For, interestingly, the courses I saw never did pretend that they could teach one how to write well, they maintained that they could teach one to make money by writing.  With me they did neither, but I soon came to accept them as a necessary part of my initiation and early apprenticeship.  They taught me what I didn't want to do and in fact couldn't do.  And, while I was disappointed, I didn't despair.  Significantly, for the first time when faced with problems and disappointment, I didn't throw my hand in.  There had to be some way forward.

In My Own Good Time (2001)


 

Use the link below to visit The Literature of Stan Barstow, a website celebrating the life and work of British novelist STAN BARSTOW (1928–2011):

 

http://www.stanbarstow.info/notitle.html

 

 

You might also enjoy:

 
The Write Advice 048: HILARY MANTEL

 
The Write Advice 038: NICK HORNBY

 
The Write Advice 005: EDNA O'BRIEN

  

No comments:

Post a Comment