Pages

Thursday 4 July 2019

The Write Advice 121: SE HINTON


A funny thing happened when I was writing Rumble Fish.  The book I was writing changed into a different book.  It had already changed a couple of times: first it was a short story; then it was a novel told from Steve’s point of view (which was too easy).  I decided to use Rusty-James as a narrator, a very hard choice, and had to stay in the character of a very simple person and tell a very complex story.
      At the time, I was reading a bit of mythology, wondering about the need humanity has for mythology.  I thought I was using myths to write a story.  Turned out that I used a story to write a myth.

Author’s Note Rumble Fish (August 2013)


 

Use the link below to visit the website of acclaimed North American novelist SUSAN ELOISE HINTON:

 

www.sehinton.com/

 

 

You might also enjoy:

 
The Write Advice 102: MARY RAKOW

 
The Write Advice 062: CLEMENTINE VON RADICS

 
The Write Advice 002: WILLA CATHER

No comments:

Post a Comment