Pages

Thursday 3 October 2019

The Write Advice 125: FRANÇOISE SAGAN


When the book is finished I immediately lose interest in the characters.  And I never make moral judgments.  All I would say is that a person was droll, or gay, or, above all, a bore.  Making judgments for or against my characters bores me enormously; it doesn't interest me at all.  The only morality for a novelist is the morality of his esthétique.  I write the books, they come to an end, and that's all that concerns me.

The Art of Fiction #15 [The Paris Review #14, Autumn 1956]

 

 

Use the link below to read about the life and work (in English) of French novelist, playwright, screenwriter, journalist and lyricist FRANÇOISE SAGAN (1935–2004):

 

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/feb/28/francois-sagan-bonjour-tristesse

 

 

You might also enjoy:

 
The Write Advice 084: EDITH WHARTON

 
The Write Advice 064: JOY WILLIAMS

 
The Write Advice 044: GEORGES SIMENON

No comments:

Post a Comment