Pages

Thursday 12 December 2019

Think About It 051: MICHAEL PALIN


I think for a long while you're yourself, or who you think you are.  And then you become something which is somebody else's and it is their view of you.  So I'd be on a programme because I'm a celebrity and I'd think: 'I'm not a celebrity –– I'm me.'
      Occasionally I can deal with that quite happily.  You just act it.  But other times it got to me and I thought 'I'm not being able to be myself.'  I think that's the key to a lot of my anxiety.  And the work I do is actually trying to remember who I am and what I can do rather than become a sort of figment of what people want me to be.  People say: 'You're a great star; you're a national treasure; you've done all this brilliant stuff.'  It just embarrasses me.  It's not the way I feel about myself.

Quoted in Anxiety: A Very Short Introduction (2012)


 

Use the link below to read more about the book Anxiety: A Very Short Introduction (2012) by DANIEL FREEMAN and JASON FREEMAN:

 

https://www.veryshortintroductions.com/view/10.1093/actrade/9780199567157.001.0001/actrade-9780199567157

 

 

You might also enjoy:

 
Think About It 043: KAREN HORNEY

 
Think About It 036: MARTIN SELIGMAN

  
Think About It 026: GORDON LIVINGSTON

No comments:

Post a Comment